Why does my child need chiropractic care?
Whether your child loves playing sports, reading a good book, or is just learning to walk, regular chiropractic care is important to resolve silent issues before they get worse. If left untreated, these minor issues and complaints can build up, causing pain and issues later on in life. Even a simple sprained ankle can lead to a lifetime of ankle issues and pain.
What does a chiropractor look for?
As chiropractors, we assess the entire body to make sure your child is ready for whatever life throws at them. During our chiropractic exam, we assess:
- Vital signs
- Range of motion
- Posture and gait
- Neurologic development
- Individual joint functioning
- Spinal growth
- And more!
What can we expect at our child’s first chiropractic visit?
- Current and past medical history – We will begin by talking about your child’s current problems that brings them into the office today. We will ask questions about your child’s symptoms, how long this has been going on, and how this has affected your daily lives. Not only is It important that we fully understand what brings you in, it’s also important we get to know your child and understand her overall health. Even if a problem doesn’t seem to be a “chiropractic problem,” it may give us clues that there is something bigger going on that needs to be addressed.
- Physical examination – A complete physical examination will be performed with your child to pin-point exactly where her problems are coming from. This includes assessing your child’s vital signs, posture, range of motion, neurologic development, spinal functioning, and more. These tests will help us determine the cause of her problems, how chiropractic can help, and ensure it is safe to adjust.
- Treatment – Chiropractic adjustments are age-specific, and they are very different than adult adjustments. We use a variety of techniques to best suit your child’s age, size, and individual needs. The pressure used on a child is about the same pressure you can tolerate on your own eye or the pressure used to check the ripeness of a tomato.
- Treatment frequency – When compared to adults, children often respond much quicker to chiropractic care and usually only need a handful of adjustments. Once symptoms have reduced and adjustments are holding longer, we always recommend regular care for children as their bodies are growing very quickly. Ensuring their spine and nervous system are performing at their best is extremely important to their overall wellbeing and development.
Dr. Maya Doroschak is happy to answer any questions you may have about chiropractic care for your child. To schedule an appointment, call our office at (651) 483-4321 or request an appointment online.